Kenwood TH-D74a - A D-Star Disappointment

This is my response to an email I received recently asking for my opinion regarding a comparison between the Icom ID-51a and the Kenwood TH-D74a.

Hi Aaron,

That really depends on what modes you are interested in.

I came in via the D-Star route.
i.e. Reading up on D-Star, Getting an Icom 880H and still "not getting it". It wasn't until I purchased a DHAP and then an Icom ID-51A that the light bulbs started turning on.

FYI: Nobody tells you this BUT! the "To:: line in DR mode are for commands sent to the repeater or hotspot. This line tells your Repeater or Hotspot what to do. Once that lightbulb finally came on, D-Star really started to become "FUN"!

D-Star really peaks my curiosity due to the Raspberry Pi, DVMega, and the ID-51A.  I've been dong Linux for about 15 years, so finding another way of using Linux with ham radio really hits that sweet spot for me. YMMV!!!

Having said all that, I am less than impressed with the Kenwood TH-D74A. As best I can tell, D-Star in this radio running version 1.05 firmware the radio is not particularly D-Star friendly. Well, not as "D-Star friendly" as the Icom ID-51a is.

The Kenwood is about a 1/2 to 3/4 second slower when it comes to decoding D-Star audio. The lag time is noticeable if you listen to the same frequency with both radios side-by-side simultaneously.

What about XReflectors and DCS reflectors? No expressed support whatsoever!

What about making the DTMF memory list longer as well as accessible from the radio menu? DTMF memories come in useful for commanding your hotspot to connect to DCS and XREF reflectors as well as conventional REF reflectors.

What about making the "To" line in DR mode scrollable with the encoder? As well as allowed to edit whatever is on that "To" list?

I am glad that Kenwood made a D-Star offering but very disappointed that they apparently did not consult with any real "American" and/or "European" D-Star users to improve the radio's D-Star Friendliness. They hit the Japanese 'top points' and did not go any further. Please read that as "Not particularly experimenter friendly."

APRS is really cool and a new function to me. I am having a little fun exploring this mode, but not much of a redeeming value from my perspective. 

Mini Rant! This is probably most important pet peeve with Kenwood's implementation of D-Star. The Kenwood DOES NOT do DPRS!!! smh WTH?!?!? Apparently, APRS.... is "good enough". My apologies for my sarcasm.

A wide coverage receiver is neat to have but of little practical use in my case.

All in all, I was hoping for a more complete implementation of D-Star in the Kenwood TH-D74A.

If you are not into D-Star, then you probably will not notice anything that bothers you.

At this present time, I DO NOT recommend the Kenwood TH-D74a if the only reason you are buying it is for the D-Star features. Icom's radios are much less expensive than the Kenwood and do D-Star much better and much friendlier.

Best Regards,

73 de Luther KB4LHP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe for building and installing "the new" WSJT-X v2.0.0 GA on Linux Mint 18.3

Setting up an Icom IC-9100 in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Linux Mint 17.1